Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rather be a "Something" than a "Nothing"

The following is written by a friend. Thought I would share. Short, but so so true.

I was reading in 2 Kings this morning when this passage of Scripture leapt out at me. It's found in 2 Kings 17:15:

"But the people wouldn't listen to God. If anything, they were even more bullheaded than their stubborn ancestors, if that's possible. They were contemptuous of God's instructions, the solemn and holy covenant He had made with their ancestors, and of His repeated reminders and warnings. THEY LIVED A “NOTHING” LIFE AND BECAME “NOTHINGS”—just like the pagan peoples all around them. They were well-warned: God said, "Don't!" but they chose to do it anyway."


"THEY LIVED A "NOTHING" LIFE AND BECAME "NOTHINGS". Wow! Talk about getting off of your focus. This was recorded of the children of Israel many, many years after leaving Egypt. The really interesting thing is that this "NOTHING" LIFE they led, was the life of the pagan peoples around them (think of the world, and its ways of doing things). They held the Lord's ways in contempt...they were lovers of pleasure and of themselves and not lovers of God anymore. And it led to their destruction, they became "NOTHINGS".


Now I don't know about you, but I don't want my life to be about nothing, or worse yet to be labeled a "NOTHING". I want to be who God wants me to be, and my life to be about "SOMETHING". And to do that, I will have to pay attention to God's instructions, and walk in what Jesus purchased for me through His death, burial and resurrection. I will have to press into God more than I ever have before.


It may cost me some friends, but truthfully if it costs me friends, have I really lost anything? No. Because the real friends will be the ones who come with me. I think at least for me, it's time for me to stop playing church and begin to follow God's ways...how about you?


Fighting the fight until I see His face,


Dave Felts

No comments:

Post a Comment