Thursday, October 22, 2009

5 Steps to Dominate a Week in College
















The past two weeks have been 'living hell' for me as I strive to do my best in my school work. Let me concisely recap for my audience the pain and misery Stephen Cliff was forced to limp though. Last week: Four exams all worth a third of my overall grade. Unfortunately, two of them on the same day! This past week: one paper and one project. Not just an ordinary 'project' either, I'm talking a 27 page project. I can remember the days when I'd sit in my room and tell myself that nothing could ever compare to the stress and pain of High School calculus or biology. I was greatly mistaken. 24 hours is not enough time in a day. Every college student or working individual has come to this conclusion at one point in their life. From the opinion of an experienced pro, let me inform you of 5 easy steps to succeed under highly stressful situations.



1) Plan ahead. This might be the most overlooked tip, but it never ceases to amaze me at the lack of this ability. I'm not talking about the typical college student version of planning ahead, "hey bro, I got a Chem 2 exam at 3 this afternoon. I'm going to study one chapter an hour and I'll be golden." For the first time in my life I started studying for these exams one week ahead. Scores for the 3 exams I studied in advance for: 91, 91, a 92. For the one test I let get pushed back: 76.

2) Avoid specific websites that humanity has created souly for the purpose of numbing the mind and distracting college aged students all across the globe. Such as: Stumbleupon.com, Face book applications, or blogs : ).

3) Texting. It's funny how when I have so much to do, the random things and random people all of a sudden become a vital part of my social life. I say to myself, "Oh this is so important I must text this person this question. There is no way I'll be able to study if I don't know the answer." The mind seems to work in humorous ways sometimes!

4) Not study groups. This commonly used term, in actuality, means to gather with friends or unknowns and talk about the latest news: "Is Dez Bryant coming back?", "This professor is so selfish and stupid.", or my personal favorite "If we had a good professor than I probably wouldn't fail this exam tomorrow." For some reason college solicits these study groups because they try to avoid thousands of people sitting alone in their dorms. But be serious, shut the door, turn on music, put your phone on silent, and WORK if you'd like to make a good grade or be productive.

5) Toss down 5-6 Coffees, or Redbulls. Whatever may be your preference.

4 comments:

  1. Well little man, welcome to the journey of adult hood. You have been waiting for this moment forever and now are there!! Ain't it great!??!? All seriousness aside, the all nighters, the eating of instant coffee right from the jar, and the falling asleep during the test will some of your greatest memories. Then you can say "When I was in college, . . . ."

    Trust me, you will survive. Call me when you get home as I would like to hear more of your tales.

    Your neighbor down the street, Mark Floyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up Mark. Boy, do I have some crazy stories to tell. It is a great feeling of pretending to be a 'grown up'. I'll most definitely give you a call soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to make time for sleep, duh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In college, sleep really isn't a viable option. Must destroy sleeping pattterns in order to survive one 3 hours a night of sleep!

    ReplyDelete