Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Smokin' Textbooks

As I walk up to the second story of Village-F, the bitter wind crawls in between the frames of my glasses, as if seeking for an open pour on my exposed face to attack with its harsh reality that summer is months away. I firmly squint my eyes and tighten my skin. The naturally formed smile does not reverberate the tossing emotions on the inside. The thought of the substantial amount of Chemistry homework that needs to be finished overbears my normal sense of peace and spunk. But Chemistry can only be completed after I read 2 required chapters from my Biology book. Come on Dr. Marley, why do you purposefully make your lectures not based from book material so that we will be required to read to succeed on our exams? But the thought of the immense school work isn't the only war raging on. The continual absence of sleep intoxicates my functionless brain to the point of mental and physical exhaustion. "Could this day get any better?", I sarcastically question myself.


I fumble around in my pocket for a few moments trying to grab the keys to let me in my dorm. I'm unfortunately reminded that arctic gusts can inversely affect one's patience. I finally find the right key to let me in from my bitter enemy. I'm relieved to be met by the loving warm heater of my minute, cramped dorm room. The 600 thread count sheets scream piercing requests for me to lie down and sleep, but the devil's temptation must be avoided. There is too much to do with too little time. No thank you. I sit down at my desk and for the first time, pull out my green covered, 20 pound "Biology. 4th edition" text book that I rented from Chegg. This textbook that tormented a helpless college soul just weeks before was now staring me in the face with disregard of my feelings. She threatens me that if I do not read her than I will never obtain my goals in life. I start to build up motivation after 45 seconds of silent glaring at my new nemesis. Now I must open the first page and start my long endeavor. As I flip open the tattered cover I am met with a gargantuan surprise. A dramatic surprise. A near death unexpected situation...

With the opening of the cover the smell of overpowering cigarette smoke burns the hairs of my nostrils killing thousands of cells along the way as it makes its path through my entire respiratory system. I frantically shut the cover to catch my escaped breath. My only conclusion is that the last student who rented this text book must have found a great use for an ash tray holder. I refute the thought that maybe God is sending me a sign to already change my major. I must read this book to pass. So I do the only plausible option: grab my expensive cologne bottle. The nasty stench of smoke is defeated by American Eagle's True cologne. Every handful of pages are sprayed. Now my mission is complete. Now I can finally start to read this book. Wait.... My favorite show just came on... Maybe later : )

No comments:

Post a Comment