Sunday, August 22, 2010

True Feelings: The Vents of an Inexperienced Missionary (#7)

8/9/10

What an interesting day. This journal entry is coming from my iPhone notes while I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight at 1:30am. This is the beautiful side of mission work, right? Our flight was supposed to be leaving at 1:20, but we were informed when we got here that it would be delayed 2 hours. But... While we were sitting in the airport lobby with a friend just sharing stories, an employee told us the flight was on time and was boarding. This was at 1:15. So we stressfully sprinted through security. We were met by tired, thorough employees who searched every crumb on the bottom of my carry on bag, despite our need to get to our gate ASAP. I swear mental stress is more tiring than physical stress. We finally make it through the sluggish security and start our run towards our gate only to be met by the news that our flight was in fact delayed. Got to love the things lost in translation I suppose.

Today was our shopping day. We got to go downtown and shop for souvenirs and sight see parts of the city we didn't have time for this past week. Unfortunately, the last 2 days I've had a severe-to-deathly sore throat. It still hurts as I type. fortunately, there are advantages of getting sick on medical mission trips. I'm already on antibiotics, for no cost. Praise the Lord. It was tough saying bye to the team. I've REALLY enjoyed their company this past week. We really meshed well and have grown close.

What kind of people go on mission trips over four thousand miles away from home? Amazing, passionate, genuine, fire-filled Christians. I've had the best conversations with these people. You don't find many flaky Christians sleeping in sleeping bags, working long days for no tangible benefit in the Third world. They've all inspired me so much. I kept a tab in my notes on my phone that I just kept quotes from them when they would say something I could learn from. Considering I'm the youngest member of our team, they all have so much experience for me to learn from. Take this for example, I've been thinking about it lately: "How you treat the creation reflects how you feel about the creator". There is such wisdom in that. I've collected several little quotes like this in my phone. They didn't even know I was listening. These are the little things I've enjoyed so much on this trip. I think I've been blessed more than I could have blessed anyone else. Now, I'm going to lie down on this bench and get a quick nap in before my flight.

I sure am going to miss this place.

P.S. It's now 2:00 and I'm still waiting
P.S.S it's now 2:30 and I'm still waiting
3:03. Still waiting.
3:35 Take off
3:36 Just kidding. Drunk guys on plane just got us taxied back to terminal.
4:06 Take off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment