Wednesday, April 14, 2010

In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day

The most recent book I've read is "In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day" by Mark Batterson. It's a book explaining how to grab hold of our God written dream for our lives in the times we often feel most overwhelmed with our circumstances. It really is an incredible book. I'm not very experienced at writing book reviews, so I'll leave that to the experts. I know I've already dedicated a whole blog post to a paragraph out of the book earlier. I really would like to just post the last paragraph of the book. It's so compelling. I would suggest the book to anyone and everyone.


The Chasing Gene

"One of my favorite DC destinations is Roosevelt Island. It sits in the middle of the Potomac River near Georgetown. My kids love the island because it is a natural habitat in the middle of an urban jungle. Plus, you have to cross a foot bridge to get there. They love chasing lizards and catching tadpoles, but our last trip involved an unforgettable encounter with larger game. We were looking for lizards when Parker spotted a herd of whitetail deer less than ten feet off the footpath.

I had no idea there were deer on the island. And I have no idea how they got there. But we spent the next half hour chasing deer through the underbrush and Parker, Summer, and Josiah were in the zone. They had the time of their lives! Why? Because kids love chasing things. Especially wild things. My kids love chasing butterflies. They love chasing rabbits. They love chasing their dad. And they love chasing each other.

It's almost like we are born with a chasing gene. It's part of our DNA. We need something to chase. We may grow up and stop chasing butterflies, but we still need something to chase. So guys chase girls, and girls chase guys. We chase academic or athletic or artistic goals. We chase degrees. We chase positions.

I believe that God created us to chase lions, but too often that chase ends in miscarriage or misdirection. We stop chasing. Or we chase the wrong thing that leads us down the wrong path. Maybe it is time to start chasing God again. Maybe it is time to seize God-ordained opportunities. Maybe it is time to unleash that lion chaser within. Chase the lion! It's what you are destined to do!"

No comments:

Post a Comment